Website powered by

Infested Underground Containment Chamber

This was a 6 week portfolio piece I did as a final project for my 3D Computer Graphics course. I decided to make an underground research bunker that had a containment breach based in the SCP universe. The 'infestation' is based on SCP 610 (The Flesh that Hates). Artistically for the infestation I referenced alot of Dead Space and halo, but also the written reference in the story itself to how the infection looked. The Bunker itself and it's design is based off the Hydro building I worked at when I was first planning this project.

The first 2 weeks were spent modelling the environment and fixing up old models in Maya, the next two weeks were spent developing the infection texture in Substance Designer and sculpting the environmental growths. Finally the last two weeks consisted of assembling everything into unreal and doing more unreal specific technical things like making the microbe particles that are seen floating around the environment and making the one light near the infected soldier randomly flicker.

Thematic video showing off the environment. Music credit goes to Kevin Macleod

Simple example of a large asset made in my current workflow, the UVs aren't actually overlapping, the control panel details are on a different material from the rest of the control panel.

Simple example of a large asset made in my current workflow, the UVs aren't actually overlapping, the control panel details are on a different material from the rest of the control panel.

Another modelling example and UV Mapping example.

Another modelling example and UV Mapping example.

Example of how I deal with smaller objects by bringing them all into one texture map instead of having a smaller map or changing texel density.

Example of how I deal with smaller objects by bringing them all into one texture map instead of having a smaller map or changing texel density.

This is the texture I made in Substance Designer for all the infected assets in the scene.

This is the texture I made in Substance Designer for all the infected assets in the scene.